Intro to AWS cognito and using it for app user authentication.
Basic goal of authentication is to give users an identity so its like introducing the participant before having a conversation. Thus enabling the security feature as we know who the user is and what info can be shared with him. And for that we need to have a memory of all the known people and ability to add more people in that list. This is called User Pool in technical term. That is a collection of users that have interaction with our application.
- Sign in functionality for app users.
- Integrate with API gateway and application load balancer.
- Create a serverless database of user for your web & mobile apps
- Simple login: Username password combination
- Password reset
- Email & Phone number verification
- Multi-factor authentication
- Federated Identities: users from Facebook, Google, SAML
- Feature: block users if their credentials are compromised elseware
- Login sends back a JSON Web Token (JWT)
- Provide AWS credentials to users so they can access AWS resources directly.
- Integrate with Cognito User Pools as an identity provider.
Callback URL- where to redirect user once he is authenticated.
Sign out URL- where to redirect after signout.
Authorization code grants.
Allowed OAuth Flows and Implicit grant.
Hosted-ui provides a ready to use ui interface for authentication actions. For example login form, signup form, forget password feature is available to use and user is redirected to pages based on it.
- There is also options to customize the built-in Sign-in and Sign-up webpages aka hosted-ui.
That’s all folks! Let me know your feedback/suggestions in the comments.
- Ayush 🙂